A Life Worth Saving
Help Stop Opioid Overdoses: Naloxone Kits at No Cost
Because the opioid crisis in Lorain County is severe, THRIVE! is posting this article directly from the website of our Partner, the Lorain County Public Health department: https://www.loraincountyhealth.com/announcements?f=13590
- Opioid overdose caused 132 deaths in Lorain County in 2016.
- Opioid use contributed to 2,691 emergency department visits in Lorain County in 2016.
- The annual economic burden of the opioid crisis in Lorain County reached nearly $200 million in 2016.
*For references, see “Lorain County Assessment,” below
Narcan® kits (also known as nasal naloxone) are available for anyone who wants to prevent an opioid overdose death. Pick up a Narcan® kit at no cost and receive opioid death prevention education at Lorain County Public Health (LCPH), 9880 Murray Ridge Road, Elyria, OH. Walk in on weekdays (excluding holidays) between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. For an after-hours appointment, call 440-322-6367. Allow 20 minutes for the visit in order to receive education and the Narcan® kit. Continue reading here.
Aren't we lucky? Lorain County offers so many resources to help us all live better!
Lorain County Service Agencies
(The list is alphabetical according
to type of services)
Friends of Senior Citizens
44627 State Route 18
Wellington, OH 44090-9412
440/724-3804, tel. or
Lorain County Office on Aging
MAIN OFFICE – Elyria
320 North Gateway Blvd, 2nd Floor
Elyria, OH 44035
440/244-6261, ext. 4800
115 Willard Memorial Square
Wellington, OH 44090
440/647-0777 (direct line)
YMCA of Greater Cleveland
Diabetes Prevention Program
419/438-7345 (to register
FOR MORE RESOURCES, CLICK HERE
“Librarian’s Corner: Best Reads and Views on Health and Fitness"
New picks for books and DVDs! The list is made by Janet L. Hollingsworth, MLIS, Director, Herrick Memorial Library, Wellington. They're all at the Library.
• “The Yoga Lifestyle: Using the Flexitarian Method to Ease Stress, Find Balance, and Create a Healthy Life,” by Doron Hanoch
• "Prevention's Complete Book of Walking: Everything You Need to Know to Walk Your Way to Better Health," by Maggie Spilner
• “Eating for Life: Boost Immunity, Prevent Disease, Celebrate Good Food,” by Kristi Fuller, Better Homes and Gardens Books
• "The Whole 30: the 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom," by Melissa Hartwig
• "Yoga for Arthritis"
• "Daily Stretch"