It's important for kids to stay active, whether they're in school or not. Exercise can help build stronger muscles and bones, improve cardiovascular capacity, decrease body fat and reduce the risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
Just as important, a regular workout can boost children’s self esteem, reduce anxiety and depression and improve their sleep. These online exercise programs are just what you need to help keep your kids active!
▪ Joe Wicks, The Body Coach TV. This energized Brit does a fun-filled daily show for kids ages 10 and under.
Sample Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ
▪ Sworkit. A big variety of free, fun workouts (strength, agility, flexibility, balance, warm-ups and cool-downs) for kids according to age groups.
Sample Video: (must register to see samples)
▪ KIDZ BOP. Hugely entertaining dance-along videos for kids. Includes Christmas and international music.
Sample Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoKfCclXGoA
▪ Fitness Blenders. This is a 25-minute routine that runs through three different games in order to help burn off extra energy and increase bone density, balance, endurance and even strength.
Website (video on same page): https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/fitness-blender-kids-workout-25-minute-fun-workout-for-kids-at-home
▪ Group Hiit. These are fun, short workouts for kids to burn energy and increase strength. And you can choose music to exercise with!
Website (videos on same page): https://www.grouphiit.com/collections/free-kids-workouts
▪ Yoga 4 Classrooms, created by Lisa Flynn, designed to “empower youth with the skills they need to be healthy, happy, resilient at school, at home and throughout their lives.”
Sample Video: https://www.youtube.com/c/Yoga4Classrooms/
Joe Wicks, The Body Coach
▪ Go Noodle. This entertaining platform offers kids of all ages dance and exercise routines, along with recipes and relaxation methods.
Sample Video: https://family.gonoodle.com/mixes/midday-energy
▪ The Learning Station. Again, another rousing platform with “action songs” for kids.
Website: https://www.learningstationmusic.com/ (you have to pay for downloads)
Sample Video (videos are free to watch on YouTube): https://www.learningstationmusic.com/youtube-videos/
▪ Cosmic Kids Yoga. This British program teaches young children how to build strength, confidence and balance, introducing them to mindfulness and yoga.
Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga (you must subscribe)
Sample Video (videos are free to watch on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifPWCZ1Mhto
▪ Active Kids. This site helps kids who play sports with full-body conditioning exercises that can be done without equipment.
Website (plug in your zip code and there’s a calendar of events nearest you): https://www.activekids.com/
Sample Video: https://www.activekids.com/fitness/articles/full-body-conditioning-exercises-for-kids
▪ YMCA 360. The Y’s 360 program is an online library of videos for the whole family. These videos are just for kids.
Sample Video: https://ymca360.org/on-demand/category/86/videos/328
▪ Beachbody Kids Workouts: This is a selection of workouts from Beachbody celebrity trainers Tony Horton, ShaunT and Leandro Carvalho.
Website (videos on same page): https://vimeo.com/showcase/6880106
A still photo from "Beachbody Kids Workout"