With school and/or gym closings, it's important for kids to stay active. Exercise can help build stronger muscles and bones, improve cardiovascular capacity, decrease body fat and reduce the risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
Just as important, a regular workout can boost children’s self esteem, reduce anxiety and depression and improve their sleep. These online exercise programs are just what you need to help keep your kids active!
▪ Joe Wicks, The Body Coach TV. This energized Brit does a fun-filled daily show for kids ages 10 and under.
Sample Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ
▪ Sworkit. A big variety of free, fun workouts (strength, agility, flexibility, balance, warm-ups and cool-downs) for kids according to age groups.
Sample Video: (must register to see samples)
▪ KIDZ BOP. Hugely entertaining dance-along videos for kids. Includes Christmas and international music.
Sample Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoKfCclXGoA
▪ Fitness Blenders. This is a 25-minute routine that runs through three different games in order to help burn off extra energy and increase bone density, balance, endurance and even strength.
Website (video on same page): https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/fitness-blender-kids-workout-25-minute-fun-workout-for-kids-at-home
▪ Group Hiit. These are fun, short workouts for kids to burn energy and increase strength. And you can choose music to exercise with!
Website (videos on same page): https://www.grouphiit.com/collections/free-kids-workouts
▪ Yoga 4 Classrooms, created by Lisa Flynn, designed to “empower youth with the skills they need to be healthy, happy, resilient at school, at home and throughout their lives.”
Sample Video: https://www.youtube.com/c/Yoga4Classrooms/
Joe Wicks, The Body Coach
▪ Go Noodle. This entertaining platform offers kids of all ages dance and exercise routines, along with recipes and relaxation methods.
Sample Video: https://family.gonoodle.com/mixes/midday-energy
▪ The Learning Station. Again, another rousing platform with “action songs” for kids.
Website: https://www.learningstationmusic.com/ (you have to pay for downloads)
Sample Video (videos are free to watch on YouTube): https://www.learningstationmusic.com/youtube-videos/
▪ Cosmic Kids Yoga. This British program teaches young children how to build strength, confidence and balance, introducing them to mindfulness and yoga.
Website: https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga (you must subscribe)
Sample Video (videos are free to watch on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifPWCZ1Mhto
▪ Active Kids. This site helps kids who play sports with full-body conditioning exercises that can be done without equipment.
Website (plug in your zip code and there’s a calendar of events nearest you): https://www.activekids.com/
Sample Video: https://www.activekids.com/fitness/articles/full-body-conditioning-exercises-for-kids
▪ YMCA 360. The Y’s 360 program is an online library of videos for the whole family. These videos are just for kids.
Sample Video: https://ymca360.org/on-demand/category/86/videos/328
▪ Beachbody Kids Workouts: This is a selection of workouts from Beachbody celebrity trainers Tony Horton, ShaunT and Leandro Carvalho.
Website (videos on same page): https://vimeo.com/showcase/6880106
A still photo from "Beachbody Kids Workout"